Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

I've not fled the country, media received favours from me says Mallya

M. Gautham Machaiah

Beleaguered businessman Vijay Mallya has claimed that he has not fled the country and has blasted the media for indulging in witch hunt.

In a series of tweets, Mallya not only terms the charges of him fleeing the country "rubbish" but also assures that he will comply with the law of the land.

"I am an international businessman. I travel to and from India frequently. I did not flee from India and neither am I an absconder. Rubbish," says one tweet. The essence of the tweet is that this is one of the many frequent overseas trips and that he will return home.

The media has been full of speculation that Mallya was tipped off about the imminent action against him facilitating his exit from a country in the nick of time. "As an Indian MP, I fully respect and will comply with the law of the land. Our judicial system is sound and respected. But no trial by the media," he says.

Mallya's harshest words are reserved for the media. In a veiled threat bordering on blackmail, the businessman has tweeted, "Let media bosses not forget help, favours, accommodation that I have provided over several years which are documented. Now, lies to gain TRP?"

This once again exposes the unholy nexus between the media and corporate world, which had come out in the open in the infamous Nira Radia case too.  Mallya has a responsibility to name and shame such black sheep. Else, his tweet will be seen as an attempt to blackmail the media into becoming submissive.

Singling out Arnab Goswami for attack, Mallya says, "The editor of Times Now needs to be in prison clothes and eat prison food for libel, deceit, slander and absolutely sensational lies."  In another tweet, he adds, "News reports that I must declare my assets. Does that mean banks did not know my assets or look at my Parliamentary disclosures?"

Accusing the media of witch hunt, Mallya notes, "Once a media witch hunt starts it escalates into a raging fire where truth and facts are burnt to ashes."

Interesting days are ahead.


No comments: